"This never really happens to me!" "Not having a penis never happens to you?""It's even better than pure nudity! Suitable for all ages! Very wholesome! Moderately sexy, but not dirty at all! We should call this, "The Super Wholesome Space!" note Presumably, a pun on Zettai Ryouki
— Sora, No Game No Life, after having just imposed this trope on his opponent, then following up with The Nudifier.
Sometimes a creator wants to show characters naked in a work that's intended for general audiences. They can't just let the audience see the characters' private parts, but using censorship tools like Scenery Censor or Censor Steam to hide those areas can feel contrived or bothersome from an artistic standpoint. If it's a non-live-action medium like comics or animation where you build up a character model from scratch instead of filming or photographing a real person, one really simple solution is to just leave out the part where you draw, paint, or sculpt the genitals and leave a smooth area instead, so that even if you show the character totally naked there'll be nothing objectionable to see.
If a female is shown naked from the front, nipples may or may not be included. Variations include complete absence, nipples absent but areola shown, nipples drawn but areola lacking, and both nipples and areola being drawn. The crotch will almost always be completely featureless, with not even a dark patch to represent pubic hair. This is sometimes oddly coupled with adding "clothing" so thin and skin-hugging that it displays the naughty bits in prominent relief, making characters more naked when they're clothed than when they're unclothed.
Barechested male characters will often be depicted without nipples, and there will never be visible genitalia or crotch hair. They can also have the curious affliction of having the organ in question outlined, but transparent, or looking like the artist got carried away with the eraser. For both sexes, Belly Buttons are optional.
The Trope Namer is the famous Barbie doll line. Almost any doll or action figure with clothes that you can remove will be featureless when undressed. This technique is also used often in Anime and Manga, particularly for subjects like the classic Magical Girl Transformation Sequence.
A similar effect can be achieved in live production (Film/Live-Action TV) by the actors wearing flesh-coloured bathing suits, or applying patches to specific areas. The absence of private parts can be more jarring in live action when you're given a chance to notice it, so these days it's typically used as backup to help camouflage areas that will be mainly obscured by other means or shown for only a fraction of a second, instead of being shown to the viewer in a straightforward fashion.
Despite the potential weirdness of not seeing something that's supposed to be there, having those specific bits can be a good thing when seeing uncensored private parts would be even more distracting. Viewers tend to quickly accept this artistic convention as long as you keep their attention on something more important.
Compare Nonhumans Lack Attributes and Animals Lack Attributes.
open/close all folders
- Parodied in this ad for Club Orange.
- In this Hugo Boss advert, Sienna Miller has no visible nipples, despite the fact that she's wearing a sheer top and no bra.
- Inverted with Jamba!'s ringtone mascot "Crazy Frog", a.k.a. "The Annoying Thing". The blue frog creature sports ambiguous but noticeable genitalia that caused some controversy when he began appearing in late night ringtone ads. When he first began appearing in music videos in the United Kingdom, a prominent black bar was used to censor his groin area. What makes this an inversion? Well, with the exception of the tailed frog, amphibians don't even have external genitals.
- In a strange case, this Old Navy Commercial uses sparklers to cover up the nipples of an ahem attractive man pushing a cart filled with ice cream. It's rather odd that Old Navy would even go the route of using male eye-candy, but after seeing nothing but American Apparel ads, it was difficult to complain....
- There was an ad for WWE WrestleMania 24 where all the nipples were airbrushed off of the wrestlers.
Anime and Manga
- Sometimes this trope appears in anime, to the point where it was originally named "Anime Anatomy." Because of censorship laws, pubic hair was also once not allowed to be shown; the laws have since changed, but showing the actual delicate bits is still avoided. Of course, artists usually opt for the smallest black or white bar that will pass muster, and in the case of white bars this can result in the area down there looking like it's glowing. Though sometimes common to all-ages works, it is known to sometimes show up in illustrated porn as well. Porn written for men tends to avoid showing the penis, so quite a few hentai comics will show the woman's vagina being stretched by an invisible penis..
- This is averted in Armitage III, which shows plenty of detailed breasts. Genitals are simply not shown by pointing the camera away from the crotch, usually. A nude female artist's model is shown in full view, complete with pubic hair. This can border on squick at times when the naked breasts happen to be on a third-type android that's just been shot and is covered in blood.
- The Titans of Attack On Titan, though it's because they literally lack sexual organs rather than censorship; nobody knows if or how they reproduce.note They don't. Titans are Humans that have been transformed with a serum injection to their spinal cord. The humans have nipples, but you may have been distracted by Eren's lack of a face at the time.
- Axis Powers Hetalia does this, not showing nipples. Most notably in season 5, but it does occur throughout all other seasons and the original webcomic as well.
- Bakemonogatari features some scenes with Hitagi in the nude where she appears like a Barbie doll. This trope applies to all entries in the anime adaptation of the Monogatari series. Specifically: Senjougahara, Hanekawa, Kanbaru, Shinobu and Koyomi have all had a naked scene at some point; their nipples (and genitals) have always been omitted.
- In Bastard!!, Dark Schneider, the main (male) character is constantly naked. Usually, but not always, in the manga, his penis is visible but when it's not, it's got the "not drawn in" type of nudity. In the OAV based off of it, convenient shadows (that get mentioned once) cover his groin area. In the official 18+ expansion doujinshi (aptly named Bastard!! Expansion) his penis is very visible and quite ridiculous in size and censored with a practically nonexistent white bar. This is played straight in the 2016 anime adaption however.
- Berserk: Zigzagged. Males are drawn without nipples in the manga and 1997 anime, while they do have them in the movies. Miura never draws penises or vaginas in the original manga as explicitly as you would see in uncensored hentai because of Japanese censorship laws, but Barbie Doll Anatomy is only one of multiple techniques he uses. Puck is always naked but has no visible genitals. His female counterpart Ivalera... well, we don't know because she wears a dress. Various male characters including Guts and Griffith are drawn like Ken dolls at times, with shadows covering a noticeable lack of private parts. Women are sometimes drawn like Barbie dolls from a distance, whereas closer up he usually draws them with nipples but avoids detailing the pubic area. On the other hand, sometimes he draws male or female organs in silhouette instead of omitting them altogether, or suggests pubic hair with some subtle texturing. At one point in volume 18 he was even bold enough to draw Joachim explicitly penetrating Nina, albeit with very few lines and no shading. It's not entirely consistent by any means. There are parts featuring characters like Ken dolls next to relatively explicit Male Frontal Nudity in the same panel! The anime and the theatrical cut of the movies generally censor genitals more. The Berserk Abridged series parodies this with Gut's complaints about his lack of genitals in the anime, for which he beats up the character designer.
- In the original manga and OVA series, the titular Birdy Cephon Altera of Birdy The Mighty had this is effect, being depicted without visible nipples and crotch. The remake manga does present her with nipples, though.
- Black Lagoon uses this trope during a flashback to Hansel and Gretel's past. Averted in the OVAs.
- In the BlazBlue tie-in, Remix Heart, there's a page where 4 of the 5 ladies display this in the shower; Makoto is closest to the 'camera', with Noel next, which is quite odd considering how touchy she usually is about her figure; Tsubaki and Cajun a) are further back and b) are more covered up, either by soap or hands, but only partially averting the trope.
- There is a scene where Ichigo is naked, and there are no nipples nor genitals. It is All Just a Dream anyway, though.
- Rangiku Matsumoto has no nipples, nor does Yoruichi. In general, male characters generally don't have nipples but they tend to randomly develop them for close-ups.
- Crossdresser Charlotte Cuulhourne, however, does appear to have pubic hair◊.
- Averted in chapter 536 where you can see the outline of Masaki's nipples in one panel when she's naked in her inner world.
- Averted in chapter 68 and zig-zagged in chapter 78 of Blue Exorcist. In chapter 68, the lower half of one of Shura's nipples is visible behind her towel as she prepares to go into a hot spring. In chapter 78, no nipple is visible when Shura gives Shiro a Marshmallow Hell, but a few pages later you can see a slight outline of a nipple in one panel that shows Shura topless from the side.
- In Brave 10, even when characters are not covered by Censor Steam, there is a lack of detail in the nudity although the manga pushes things a little farther than the anime.
- Jo in Burst Angel, to the extent of executing a non-villain Full Frontal Assault with not much to show but some small swells where breasts are supposed to be, and nothing "downstairs". Of course, she is an engineered being, so she may have an excuse.
- In Cage of Eden the girls are frequently drawn naked, but lack nipples or pubic hair.
- Captain Earth, episode 19 ends with Hana floating naked in the Blume's control module. While her crotch is obscured by something else, this initially appears to be an instance of Godiva Hair. But no, her hair floats out of the way, giving the audience a clear view of her nipple-less breasts.
- In the manga Cherry Juice, a combination of this and well placed Censor Steam is used to obscure the naughty bits of the 15 year old protagonist during her bath scenes.
- Choujin Sensen: FEE has no visible genitalia despite being mostly naked.
- Chrono Crusade has several shower scenes with the girls (particularly in the manga), but once again with no nipples and featureless crotches. Chrono also has a nightmare that shows both him and Aion in the nude (no, not THAT way), but the dark, moody feel of the scene allows for shadows that cover anything that we might've seen.
- In a show riddled with as many long, random topless scenes as Code Geass, the complete lack of nipples is weird to the point of disturbance. Also, during a gratuitous Out-of-Clothes Experience flashback scene, wide shots of Suzaku's shadowed lower body show... Something very important is clearly missing.
- Nipples are featured in the DVD versions of the series (the version Bandai licensed).
- Picture Book 3.75 (the Fanservice one) has faint areolae on several occasions with one clear outline of a hair-covered nipple near the end.
- In Cowboy Bebop, men don't have nipples. You see Spike with vague nipples in the first episode, but from then on he and the other male characters either have no nipples, or they are covered with bandages. No one has underarm hair or pubes, though some characters have chest hair.
- In the flashback scenes where Spike is having his eye operation, Spike has no nipples nor genitalia. The space between his legs is covered in shadow, except in one shot where the camera angle conveniently places his big toe (which is close to the camera so it seems very large) right in front of the split between his legs.
- If you pay very close attention, you can also see naked and half-naked women in pornography that some characters have, such as when Jet is talking to one of his cop pals, the cop's monitor is surrounded by porn. The crudely drawn nudes either have no nipples or have strategic sheets to cover them.
- Avoided by Crayon Shin Chan in which, even in the North American televised release, graphically depicts male genitalia on the title character. Similarly, Masamune Shirow's manga Appleseed (the North American release in any case) features explicit frontal female nudity, up to and including pubic hair.
- Cross Ange: The female characters are regularly nude but female nipples and both sexes' genitals are completely absent, including an instance in the opening titles that would have provided Male Frontal Nudity from Task. One wonders why they bothered to use Censor Steam in some places.
- Most variations of Cutey Honey anime feature this. Even in (more child-oriented) Cutey Honey Flash, we see glimpses of Honey's pubic area—of course, without any features.
- Averted in New Cutey Honey with nipples, and genitalia (for literally a couple of frames).
- Dance in the Vampire Bund varies as to the degree of Barbie Doll Anatomy displayed, sometimes within a given chapter. Princess Mina's normal form sometimes has full nipples and areola, sometimes dark shaded areola without nipples, and sometimes full blank chest.
- In some of the OPs and EDs of Detective Conan, Ran appears in featureless nude. Sometimes there is barely a suggestion of cleavage; other times the breasts are more clearly drawn; in neither case are there nipples or other features.
- In the "final" episode of Devil Hunter Yohko, Yohko, her cousin Ayako, and Azusa, are fighting the final battle battle naked (well, technically in monster X-ray vision), and apparently they have nipples, but no genitalia or pubic hair.
- In Digimon Tamers and Digimon Frontier, transformation sequences often contain examples of this.
- Also in Tamers, the main kids appear naked while Biomerged, and they lack nipples and genitals, though this is averted in Rika's Biomerge in Episode 45, where the outline of her nipples can be seen, and in the DVD versions◊.
- Averted quite a bit is in Doraemon original manga and 1979 anime from late 80s where Nobita's penis and Shizuka's nipples are seen countless times. It is, however, important to note that the manga is completely lacking in Fanservice outside of Parental Bonus — all nudity is Played for Laughs. Played straight in the 2005-present anime remake where the censorship is stricter.
- In Elfen Lied, each time the girls are naked you can clearly see that they have nipples but no crotch hair or genitalia.
- Eureka Seven has male characters without nipples.
Evangelion, as a franchise, jumps around with this, depending on the incarnation.
- The original television series used camera tricks to avoid showing everything that wasn't buttocks-related, and would otherwise enforce this trope. The final films and the Rebuild movies, however, show female nipples, but still lack genitalia. The manga, interestingly enough, operates similarly to the movies, but showed Shinji's genitals in one particular instance (he lacked pubic hair, too).
- Asuka (Shikinami, not Soryu) has one scene in which her breasts are shown, her nipples are covered by the infamous straw of censorship Later, when she is in her see-through plugsuit, she is wearing a bra and her crotch is completely featureless. In 3.0, Asuka is never shown naked.
- Tohru Watanabe from Excel Saga has something between his legs that looks... very odd, and possibly aquatic. It's apparently an elephant's head censor, but still.
- Fairy Tail initially just covers up the naughty bits with Censor Steam and Scenery Censor, but in later bath scenes the naked girls tend to be covered up less, so it becomes clear that they don't have nipples at all (male characters do, though). Erza is also seen full-frontal naked at one point, and she has the typical Barbie Doll crotch.
- Clear from Final Fantasy Unlimited; it's difficult to tell at first, but official character sketches confirm that he's always completely naked besides his boots and gloves, and yet no genitals or nipples are seen. This might be justified because he isn't human.
- The first time Shin appears in Fist of the North Star, he's taking a bath. When he stands up, well... he and Griffith could sing a duet of "Detachable Penis". Not only is his entire groin completely blank, the contours of his inner thighs are barely visible. It's pretty obvious that Tetsuo Hara was taking no chances whatsoever.
- Partly averted in Freezing in that on the rare occasions in when breasts are shown (less rare later on), they have fully defined nipples and areolae without censoring. However, there have been a few instances of full-frontal nudity where the girl's groin was barbie-dolled, despite the fact that it's implied that the humanoid Nova converts Roxanne from the inside by penetrating her with its finger.
- Typically in the 2003 anime version of Fullmetal Alchemist, the only time a character ever appears nude is when they're at The Gate. The exception to this is Wrath, who gets so much naked time that he got a full frontal nude picture on his reference sheet, and he was the only character to have one. This is an advantage as Gate scenes are usually dramatic ones, so dramatic shadows can cover pretty much everything.
- The use of this trope in that series also causes some confusion when we see an image of Scar's brother, who has given up his genitals in an attempt to resurrect his dead lover. However, if you look closely, his crotch and lower stomach are covered in blood to emphasize what has happened.
- Also in the Brotherhood series, it's most noticeable with Al's body at the gate.
Full Metal Panic:
- The opening of the anime has a scene that shows Kaname naked, but only with Barbie-like detail. It may be Barbie Doll Anatomy because that is a virtual projection of her, as shown in the last two episodes of the first season.
- Averted in The Second Raid, when we see Yu Fan and Yu Lan taking a shower. Afterwards is a scene of them where their breasts have zero censoring with nipples drawn properly.
- Played Straight in the opening of The Second Raid, where they're shown naked, but clearly with no nipples.
- Fushigi Yuugi uses this trope interchangeably with Godiva Hair. This, however, doesn't prevent Tamahome's pants from defying the laws of physics and staying intact near the final battle.
- Futari Wa Pretty Cure, its Oddly Named Sequel Max Heart, and Suite Pretty Cure♪ have this during Transformation Sequences. The other seasons just go for sparkly body auras or, in Heartcatch Pretty Cure's case, long dresses of light.
- Garzeys Wing has Chris swept away by a bizarre Out-of-Clothes Experience at the very beginning of the show and is forced to fight an army completely naked. Throughout the sequence, he isn't given any nipples or genitals.
- The main character of Zatch Bell! would often strip completely nude, much to Kiyomaro's annoyance. His genitals are in full display. In the English dub, boxers appear.
- Genesis Of Aquarion pretty much dances a waltz with this trope. This is very obvious, since it's a virtual guarantee a minimum of three people will be seen naked per episode, more if they show the flashback of Apollo getting his name again. The trope continues in Aquarion Evol.
Ghost In The Shell:
- Averted, mostly, in the original Ghost in the Shell manga series, except for the last third of Man/Machine Interface where Shirow Masamune stopped drawing Motoko's anatomy for a while to save time (she spends a lot of time brain-diving in that segment and is rendered as nude for it).
- Batou doesn't have nipples in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Justified in that he's a full-prosthetic cyborg, and that other than for pure aesthetics, there's no reason to put a useless feature on a prosthetic unless it serves a purpose.
- Girls Bravo averts this. Just watch the second OP. Now, whether you can actually see the nipples in your version, that's a whole different matter...
- The 08th Mobile Suit Team does this inconsistently in regards to breasts. When introduced to the young guerrilla girl, she's seen swimming naked, with clearly-drawn nipples. About halfway through the series, in an odd "hot tub" scene, the love interest is shown topless—with no nipples at all. The oddest thing is that the first example is mentioned to be underage, whereas the latter is a fully adult woman.
- In the openings for Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, nudity seems to pop up very often. However, this trope censors it... with the exception of a certain female silhouette in the first SEED opening, which very clearly features nipples. That's right, a silhouette has nipples, but the actual images of women don't. Some of these scenes are redrawn to have visible nipples in the Remastered editions of the series, leading to a lot of fandom jokes on what the animators were concentrating on with their expanded budget.
- During the final battle in G Gundam, Rain breaks free from the Devil Gundam naked without nipples before quickly wrapping herself in a long cape to use as a dress before the super attack kills the Devil Gundam.
- In Zeta Gundam, when Kamille catches Rosamia topless the latter's nipples appear and disappear at random.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam 00, the many "naked conversation in space" scenes show various characters shaped like Barbies, the most notable example being Setsuna.
- Spoofed in the English dub outtakes of Gun Frontier, with Harlock shouting "Oh my God! What have you done with her nipples?"
- The opening of Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 -- Kurenai no Tsuki anime special shows all major characters in the state of featureless nudity. Particularly qualifying for this trope is the final shot with Masaomi and Nozomi — shown only from the waist up, but Nozomi's breasts clearly fall under Barbie doll anatomy. (Of course, if you consider that Haruka is intended for a female audience, and that most of the aforementioned major characters are Bishōnen, even this level of nudity might be seen as "interesting"....)
- Heavy Metal L Gaim: In episode 11, a soldier cuts Amu's clothes off as torturing her, and her areolas are clearly visible, but not nipples.
- Characters in Hidamari Sketch have neither nipples nor areolas, and only rarely do they even have butt cracks. Considering that someone (usually Yuno) is shown taking a bath in their apartment's bathtub approximately Once an Episode, and they go to a sento twice in the first two seasons... Yuno is even shown naked underwater briefly in one episode when describing a feeling of floating she had. (Accurate, as she was...) Nothing to see, unless the general shape turns you on.
- In the anime version of 7, the various Out of Body Experience scenes are drawn without details. The only exception is the one in episode 8 where the faint outline of a nipple can be seen.
- While averted in the manga, the first villainess Mistress Centipede was drawn without nipples in the anime to water-down her Full Frontal Assault status. Also, despite the fact that in the manga naked women always have nipples, none of the male characters have nipples.
- Averted with Shippo who appears naked in episode 16. Since he is just a small kid, his genitals are shown.
- Played straight with Musou, though this is because Naraku happens to be genderless.
- Neko in K, who prefers to be naked, because she's a cat - sometimes she's the Innocent Fanservice Girl, but other times (like in the stadium in episode 7), this trope is in effect so much that it doesn't even seem like she's naked.
- Kamen No Maid Guy follows this for most females. Apparently Naeka is the only female in the cast who has nipples.
- In an episode of the Kannagi anime and some chapter in the manga they joked about Jin's penis, but in chapter 20, he looks like a Ken doll, and also the next two pages, apparently we can all say Jin has a "hydraulic" penis.
- Ghost walks through Katekyo Hitman Reborn! with no clothes on yet no matter how hard you stare, there is nothing down there. Ghost has... No genitals. None whatsoever. Not much to Full Frontal Assault with there.
- Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple used to use this, but later the magazine in which it is serialized began allowing nipples, so they appear. Played with as the restriction was lifted, however: it seems that the majority of nipple shots are reserved for villainous characters, whereas the only heroic character to get nipple shots is Shigure.
- Used very obviously in Kill La Kill when anyone with a Goku Uniform or Kamui transforms. Most notably used in Ryuko and Satsuki's transformations, which have obvious close-ups of their breasts and bottoms. Also averted with Mataro and Guts, the former of whom is an elementary school student and the latter of whom is a dog. The trope is used in full effect during the last sequence of Episode 24, from Ragyo's last words to Ryuko's reentry, and even to every character in-series when trying to catch Ryuko during said reentry. However, this is also averted in that Aikuro has very visible nipples, as do most male members of Nudist Beach. The pink glowing that they do is probably meant to censor them since their groins glow in the exact same way, but it does absolutely nothing and very likely isn't supposed to do anything anyway.
- Averted in The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. Anyone shown naked is typically drawn with full anatomical details, including hair and genitals, and with far more realistic body proportions than manga usually portrays. Occasionally the girls' nipples can be seen through their clothes, just like real life! However, it should be noted that most of the nudity in Kurosagi is either due to the people in question being dead, or extreme Fan Disservice.
- No nipples are shown in Life. It's possibly censorship because a scene in volume 2 showed them quite clearly on a girl, but later parts that show that scene lack them; another manga by the mangaka also showed nipples as a plot point.
- In the Yaoi Genre manga Love Mode, all naughty bits are only outlined.
Lupin III goes back-and-forth with this trope.
- Averted in Lupin III, where genitalia is drawn as the male and female gender symbols.
- Played straight in the Lupin III Red Jacket series.
- The Secret of Twilight Gemini: Averted in the uncensored version, which shows everything shy of full frontal nudity, excluding lower genitalia.
- The Woman Called Fujiko Mine averts this with nipples (the opening sequence even plainly shows them quite a lot) but still plays is straight with genitalia. Although it also borrows the gender symbols trick from the manga.
- The third opening of Macross Frontier, "Lion", shows Sheryl going through a costume change (her stage costumes are usually holographic) completely naked, but also completely featureless. When she and Ranka have an Out-of-Clothes Experience in the series' climax, they remain entirely featureless until the very end, when visible (but extremely subtle) nipples are drawn. In Sheryl's case however, she wears a body stocking while performing, so a lack of features is understandable.
- In Macross Delta, Hayate and Freyja have a Fantasy Sequence where they undergo this during their first synchronization.
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and Nanoha's transformation sequence.
- Everyone's transformation sequence. Not to mention both openings for StrikerS. In the movie, Nanoha's transformation has clearly visible nipples, whereas Fate's does have nipples but it is mostly blurred out. In both, genitalia are kept out of sight by carefully selected camera angles and blurs.
- There's also the entirely gratuitous shower scene! Subaru's breasts are dangling right in front of the camera, but it's hard to tell at first because they're just featureless mounds of white.
- In the Force Manga. When Touma finds Lily she's completely nude, complete with nipples but without genitalia.
- In the Hot Springs Episode of the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Vivid manga, adult girls are drawn with visible nipples and areolae, but the breasts of the young girls are featureless.
- When Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu transform in the anime of Magic Knight Rayearth, they are shown to be nude, but their chests and groins are completely featureless.
- Averted by Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, which actually shows Sasshi's (male) genitals a couple of times. When Arumi is subjected to Naked People Are Funny, they just avoid showing her front entirely.
- The Mahou Sensei Negima! manga would be practically R-rated if not for the fact that the girls all seem to have the same level of anatomical detail as a Barbie doll. Ken Akamatsu's other series, Love Hina, suffers the same "affliction". The magazine in which Love Hina and Mahou Sensei Negima were published had forbidden depictions of lower parts and nipples. The nipples were allowed since then, but it would be kind of weird if they suddenly appeared halfway through. One fan once asked Akamatsu why he never drew nipples on any of his characters. Akamatsu replied that a nipple attacked him when he was young and he has been traumatized ever since.
- Avoided in Maicchingu Machiko Sensei. Maicchingu Machiko Sensei is a kids series and played on Japanese TV. Machiko is an elementary school teacher. Her students (well, that one problem child, anyway) are the #1 cause of her losing her clothing.
- Averted in Mazinkaiser: when Sayaka's top comes undone in the fourth episode, the nipples and areola are present and accounted for. The male nipples are absent, though.
- In the original Mazinger Z, Kouji has some shirtless scenes, and nipples are invisible.
- In My Lovely Ghost Kana, Kana has lovely, fully-featured breasts. The sex scenes are almost entirely drawn discretely enough that we'd never see anything anyway. In the few cases where we would, there's nothing to see in Kana's case, or a blank space for Daikichi.
- In Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, the title character is shown naked. In those scenes she is shown without nipples. The same could be said for Grandis. Though King (the lion) is shown with genitals.
- Averted by any of the works of Naoki Urasawa: women are drawn with nipples, and Billy Bat has at least one occasion where a woman's pubic hair was visible.
Naruto. The eponymous character has no nipples, and neither do any of the female characters (in any rare instances of fanservice). Exceptions:
- Not in the anime, but in the manga, you can see bits of the areola when Naruto does his Oiroke no Jutsu (Sexy Jutsu) the first couple times. They seem to have been sticking to this trope since then though.
- On a colored close-up for a cover the Raikage just barely has the outline of his nipples drawn.
- In a few panels of Book 7 of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, as Nausicaa is coming out of a bath, her nipples are not drawn at all.
- Likewise in the lesser known manga Nippon No Razoku (a.k.a. Japanese Nudists), which contains even more nonsexualized nudity. The characters' nipples are only drawn as circles indicating the areola, and the rest of the characters' bodies are left more or less like a Ken or Barbie doll (although there are plenty of Scenery Censor Objects around). It's fairly jarring — the scenes where the artist draws nothing stand out less.
- In No Game No Life, Sora and Jibril play a game where you take turns declaring a word or phrase, and then that term is erased or materialized. Naturally, Sora declares "girls clothing". Being a good sport, he also erases the girls' naughty bits, saying seeing their bare bodies is enough for him and he'll keep everything "family-friendly."
- In the first nude scene of Omamori Himari has Himari lacking in both departments. This is averted entirely with the nipples from then on and even before that scene, nipples were prominently shown through Himari's clothing (since she never wore a bra until a few chapters after the one mention).
- In Outlaw Star, when Gene Starwind gets intimate healing with Melfina, he's shown with no genitalia. In the Hot Springs Episode, none of the women have nipples except for Aisha, and hers are the same color as her skin.
- This is averted in the manga, however, as Gene was having sex with Hilda, and apparently, Melfina has pubic hair.
- The full-length film Perfect Blue is an exception to this, but it was made after the law was relaxed and was in any case not intended for broadcast. When the heroine poses for nude photos, her crotch hair is shown, but there is still no sign of the actual genitalia. Strangely enough, when the same director made Paprika, the heroine has nipples in her nude scenes, but the crotch is still featureless.
- When in bathing suits or otherwise shirtless, in the Pokémon anime it's quite noticeable that Ash and the other male characters don't have nipples.
- Red from Pokémon Special has an almost fanservicey amount of shirtless scenes in the FRLG arc but has no nipples. Shirtless characters never do.
- Averted in Pocket Monsters where several early gags revolve around genitalia (Clefairy "using" Water Gun by peeing, Poké Ball = testicle jokes, etc). Played straight in most other adaptations.
- The characters of Popotan all have noticeable nipples, averting this trope. Interestingly enough, it's the closest the anime ever gets to being remotely sexual (save one specific scene in episode 7 and Mii's shenanigans), despite being adapted from an adult Visual Novel.
- Pretear's transformation scenes are another example.
- Pops up all the time in Princess Tutu. Both Fakir and Mytho have nightmares about battling naked against enemies (perhaps a sign of being vulnerable?), Ahiru is naked after going from her duck to human forms, and Rue has at least one naked transformation scene, but we never see a single nipple or detail in the crotch area, ever.
- Used momentarily once or twice in Puella Magi Madoka Magica for some of the Transformation Sequences. The last episode has a minutes-long scene of featureless nudity, but only in the disc release; in the broadcast version, their torsos were hidden by sparkly blackish stuff.
- Averted in the Ranma ½ manga. Ranma frequently runs around topless in his girl form, and several other characters (including himself as a girl) are occasionally drawn naked. Rumiko Takahashi draws all of her female characters with nipples, but usually obscures their crotches with environmental objects or the character's own legs. Interestingly enough, it's the opposite for guys; all of her male characters are drawn without either. In the anime adaptation, however, Ranma's nipples are usually only hinted at rather than explicitly drawn. Also, even in the manga "she" has been naked and spread-eagle (or sitting in Lotus Position) several times, and all she has between her legs is a great big blank (particularly noticeable in the manga version of the Phoenix Pill storyline, where Takahashi doesn't even bother with Hand or Object Underwear, but still draws zero detail). This is averted in the anniversary OVA, where girl-Ranma's nipples are rather clearly animated.
- Nude shots of Anthy in Revolutionary Girl Utena show a featureless crotch and no nipples. Same for her and Utena in the movie.
- In the manga of Saikano, while nipples are shown for both genders, genitals are either not drawn at all or only partially rendered, despite a number of full-frontal scenes with Chise and the various sex scenes (especially in the second and final volumes).
- While the trope is present in the transformation sequences, it could be explained as being part of the transformation visuals. The trope is very much present to an extreme degree in The Nineties American dub. The transformation sequences were edited so that the interior lines defining the breasts and crotches were airbrushed out. Apparently even barbie doll nudity was unacceptable.
- There's a scene early in the S season where the girls are discussing the importance of the first kiss, which briefly shows two shadowed naked people kissing (they're supposed to be Adam and Eve, but happen to look a lot like Usagi and Mamoru). Although shown in silhouette, Usagi's nipple is clearly visible.
- The Sailor Moon S movie does something similar with Luna's transformation into a human girl - there's a split-second shot where her nipples are visible (although her crotch area still lacks any details).
- In the second episode of the 5th and final season, after Hotaru gets re-awakened as Sailor Saturn and undergoes an age acceleration into a preteen, when she tells the other Outer Sailor Guardians about the fact that Usagi and the others are going to be in trouble, she stands in the open doorway completely nude, and she lacks nipples and genitalia.
- In the last episode of the anime, Sailor Moon herself fights the final battle naked, and she lacks nipples, pubic hair and genitalia. Some countries (like the Philippines) did air this part intact. Others... not so much.
Saint Seiya uses this from beginning to end, ever since Seiya's encounter with a buck-naked Lizard Misty. Not only is his crotch conveniently shaded (as in many other examples), but it also seems to lack some... volume.
- This also happens explicitly to Seiya at the end of Overture movie while facing Apollo.
- The sequel anime Saint Seiya Omega does this during the Out-of-Clothes Experience of Kouga being rescued from being possessed by Abzu.
- Sakura Trick normally doesn't show much skin, but the opening does show Haruka completely naked and adhering to this trope.
- In The Secret Agreement, despite having two sex scenes no penises are seen, which becomes glaringly obvious when Iori walks all over Yuuichi's house naked. But explicit detail probably wouldn't complement the style anyway.
- Panty Shots in Seikon No Qwaser are rendered with such faithful detail to the underlying anatomy that they must be a second skin, but when it comes to shots of exposed crotch they don't even have a first skin.
- This trope is used in the manga of the ultra-violent Shigurui, where, despite having gratuitous nudity which is drawn with meticulous, loving detail, the spot between the legs is just blank white. Which is a little weird, because everything around it is shaded. Oddly enough, that makes a scene with one character jerking off even more disturbing; you see his hands, and in between them — nothing.
- Averted in Shima Shima Tora No Shimajiro: in the toilet training episodes, Shimajiro's penis is shown.
- In Slayers, averted and then played straight in the first manga (Slayers: Medieval Mayhem), where Lina Inverse's nipples are visible in some scenes. In the US version, they were censored using this technique.
- In the first manga, (Slayers: Medieval Mayhem), Lina Inverse's nipples are visible in some scenes. In the US release, these scenes were censored using this technique.
- Horo from Spice And Wolf, especially noticeable because she spends an appreciable amount of time naked. Unlike many examples, however, the nudity is never sexualized. In this case especially confusing because half the time her hair just so happens to conveniently cover the offending locations, and the other half the nipples are just completely absent. Averted by the manga, at least for her nipples.
- A comparison with the manga shows this is as much practicality as censorship. Unlike the static Fanservice poses of most works, panels of Holo nude usually catch her in the middle of quick motion (often rotary), and their artwork is unusually detailed (even by comparison with hentai) and uses a more sophisticated level of highlight and shadow. As a result, these would be the technically hardest parts of the manga to animate without going badly Off Model, and as the nudity isn't being sexualized the effort would at most result in Freeze Frame Bonus.
- Steel Angel Kurumi manga: There's a bath scene in the first volume where everyone is drawn with nipples, though still no explicit hair "down there." We do see a man's hairy legs, though. It has the side effect of making the prepubescent, generically cute young male hero look like a flat-chested girl.
- Street Fighter II The Animated Movie has an ironic one... Ken Masters himself is shown naked and with no genitalia as he's being brainwashed by Bison.
- In Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, this trope tends to zigzag. When Yoko loses her top at the end of episode 6, her breasts are featureless; however, her crotch is given prominent outlining in many situations. In another aversion, Anti-Spiral Nia's jumpsuit is skintight, and her nipples are visible in several shots.
- Kamina's goal for the most part of episode 6 is to see Yoko's nipples. When they reveal, her breasts are shown from such a peculiar angle that her nipples wouldn't be visible. They clearly peek through her top in some shots though, both pre- and post-Time Skip.
- The same episode shows that Simon and Kamina clearly have something to hide... In a bizarre way.
- It's partially averted in The Movie, though. In the final battle against the Anti-Spiral, after the creation of Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Yoko and Nia are naked for no particular reason, and their nipples are plainly visible, though Nia's crotch is conveniently not drawn.
- Used in the opening title for The Testament Of Sister New Devil. Interestingly, not only are the female characters shown this way, so is the main hero.
- In Texhnolyze during the scenes where Ichise gets shirtless or naked he has no nipples, pubic hair, or noticeable genitalia.
- He always has something in front of his crotch area, though. Doc and Ran's handmaidens (priestesses?) on the other hand have visible nipples and aerolas.
- Averted in Tiger & Bunny, where in one scene we are allowed to confirm up close that Kotetsu - at least from the waist up - is anatomically correct.
To Love-Ru both uses and subverts this; the serialized version of the manga that appears in the magazines utilizes it, with the nipples never being drawn. The collected volumes avert it, as the nipples are put back in.
- Strangely enough, both versions sort of avert it in regards to crotches too. Genitalia are never actually drawn, but swimsuit/Panty Shot panels of female characters will sometimes have rather pronounced outlines.
- For some bizarre reason, the second anime avoids this with one exception: Mikan and Yami lack nipples. Even though the even younger-looking Nana and Momo have them. Makes no sense.
- The manga's continuation To Love-Ru Darkness averts it even in the serialized version, as they moved to a magazine with an older demographic (Weekly Shonen Jump -> Jump Square and Jump SQ). Nipples are shown plainly and several crotch shots have such ridiculously small amounts of Scenery Censor that you really can see some labia.
- Knives in the finale of the manga. He's buck-naked, long-haired... and in response to this, the artist simply hasn't drawn... certain features, leaving a large gap in Knives' outline between the legs.
- The 'Plants' in the manga series, appearing as naked angel women in a bubble, also follow this trope, although the final form of Knives' Ark, with all the plants fused into him, is a grotesque, vaguely angelic monster with a very visible vagina.
- The crotchpieces of Leonof's puppets, again in the manga, clearly have vaginas when the puppets come apart.
- Averted in Urusei Yatsura. If nowhere else, then during Lum's Defeat by Modesty that gets the series going.
- In the primary series of Utawarerumono, there is never really call for this. It averts it in the OAVs, however.
- Averted in at least one shot of the German-Japanese co-produced cartoon Vicky the Viking. It's how most kids learned that the title character is actually a boy.
- In Yamada Kun And The Seven Witches, the girls don't have nipples or genitals when naked, but the series surprisingly gets away with showing labia bulges or even camel toe during some of the panty shots, emphasizing the "more naked when they're clothed" aspect. Guys don't have nipples for most of the story, but have in the latter chapters thanks to Art Evolution.
- The non-fanservice Kaori and Kousei nude dancing scene in the first opening of Your Lie In April features neither nipples nor navels.
- The second movie for Yu Yu Hakusho has a scene where Kurama is preparing for battle by bathing in a pond. When you see him from the front, he has a quite noticeable shadow obscuring his lower regions.
- Towards the beginning of Porco Rosso, the titular character rescues a bunch of little girls from pirates and they decide to celebrate by going for a swim. Despite all the girls being topless, none of them have any nipples.
- Legend has it that when Carl Milles created a statue of Poseidon◊ for the town of Göteborg, Sweden, he originally wanted to make it anatomically correct. Prudishness of the time (1920s) forbade it. He got his revenge by making Poseidon hold a big fish, which, when viewed from the balcony of the nearby concert hall, turns into something◊ rather suggestive....
- Traditional paintings of nudes often either angle the figure modestly (particularly women) with regard to the crotch, or only slightly define the genitalia. The paintings of Lucien Freud featuring naked human bodies are often not considered "nudes" in the traditional sense given that their portrayal of anatomy is so un-idealised... including the fact that they really avert this trope, giving more focus, if anything, to genitals than faces.
- Generally speaking, when you're dealing with superhero fare, a hero's costume will hug every contour of his rippled body, outlining every muscle in detail while also highlighting the fact that he has no nipples or genitals. This also applies for superheroines (and even the civilians at times if the artist is going that way) where their costume hugs every nook and cranny on their body, but nary a naughty bit is shown.
- There is not one person in the Archie Comics universe who knows what a nipple is.
- A couple of Marvel's early Conan comics featured a nipple-less Conan for some reason. He quickly regained them for good.
- The Star Wars Expanded Universe has Dark Empire. Palpatine is clearly lacking◊ his, ahem, Galaxy Gun and Death Stars. Or, as the wiki puts it, "Palpatine ignites a lightsaber and is bereft of genitalia."
- One issue of Dreadstar, when the title character is in a coma he gets a makeout scene with the spirit of his mystic sword... but seems to have misplaced his genitalia.
- In Earth 2, Mercury seems to be lacking parts when he crash-lands Naked on Arrival to grant Jay Garrick his super-speed powers.
- In one of the Love Bunny & Mr. Hell backups in Hack Slash, Love Bunny tries to elevate her profile by combining two big popularity boosters, showing more skin and the panty shot, with panties that are the exact color of her skin tone. People end up with the impression that she really has no genitals.
- DC's Hawkman, on the other hand, has mostly been nipple-less for the last 70-odd years. Every so often, an artist like Marshall Rogers will include them, but mostly his chest is smooth.
- The Hulk is often (if not always) drawn without nipples. This wouldn't be so obvious if he didn't appear shirtless in every single one of his appearances.
- The Intimates has Destra, who walks around shirtless all day. She's got a sheer cape draped over her shoulders that technically covers her breasts, but it's sheer. She doesn't seem to have nipples, but artist Giuseppe Camuncoli did a few sketches of her with them plainly visible — apparently the reader is supposed to just imagine they're there in-universe.
- Jamie's Jungle Jinks is about a little jungle girl who's always topless, yet has no nipples.
- The title character from Lucifer actually doesn't have any genitals (no angels do). This never stops him from having sex. His equally impaired brother also manages to give birth.
- In a final chapter of one of The Sandman, the masculine angels are drawn completely naked, but with no genitalia whatsoever, likely as a reference to suggestions in Christianity that angels are largely sexless.
- Ditto for the angels in the graphic novel version, at least, of Murder Mysteries.
- When Dream's remaking the Corinthian, both of them lack nipples..
- Ultimate Norman Osborn doesn't seem to have a penis while in his Green Goblin form.
- Guess that's where he gets (some of) the extra mass required to transform.
- Taken literally by Beautie from Astro City, who is a robot based on a Brand X Barbie doll.
"My skin is ferro-styrene over an omnitanium frame. My breasts and buttocks are rigid. And I have no genitalia."
- Averted in Madman; a flashback shows a nude Frank with an only-partially obscured penis, all the male heroes' costumes have anatomically-friendly bulges, and baby Severino (from the "Exit of Dr. Boiffard" arc) has a visible penis when he first appears.
- In Pyrenee, the titular girl Pyrénée spends almost the entire book naked, but while she has visible nipples, she does not have a visible genitalia.
- In one of the ''Flashpoint miniseries, Batman accidentally shoots a little girl in the chest (she had been disguised as The Joker) and thus performs impromptu surgery to remove the bullet, and in the process, rips her shirt clean off. In spite of there being at least one clear shot of her bare chest, she does not appear to have nipples.
- The Superman villain Eradicator once merged with a normal human man, but while there was a full-frontal shot of his nude body, he was notably devoid of a genitalia.
- By necessity used in the long-running comic strip Love Is, which, as Homer says, is "about two naked eight-year-olds who are married."
- Blondie: Dagwood Bumstead also has no nipples.
- There are a surprising number of nude scenes in the Little Nemo comic, but both Nemo and Princess Camille lack anything resembling genitals or nipples.
- Mark Trail is a newspaper strip that features a surprisingly large number of shirtless scenes, but the poor hero, in addition to having no sexual urges whatsoever, lacks nipples entirely.
- Marvin was on one occasion depicted in such a way◊.
- A story arc in the Bloom County spin-off Outland involved the revelation (by a drunken Spuds McKenzie) that many 'male' animal characters have been played by female animal actors. As many characters in the strip were male talking animals, this led to considerable concern in-story, and a simple attempt to resolve the question resulted in two of them coming out of the bathroom with the exclamation, "No fair! Cartoon characters aren't anatomically correct!"
- Evangelion 303: The author usually averts the trope, drawing naked bodies keeping all "interesting" bits, but sometimes he plays it straight (like in page 171. The character is naked but you cannot see her nipples nor areolae).
- This fanart of' Yu-Gi-Oh!
- In Off The Line Cloud is thankful that player avatars are not anatomically correct and his character is built like a doll or he would risking flashing other players due to his Stripperiffic outfit.
Films — Animation
- Batman Assault On Arkham: Both Harley Quinn and Killer Frost are depicted topless with enough of their breasts exposed that their nipples should have been visible if this trope weren't in play.
- Beowulf: Beowulf seems to have this if you slow down the film—there are parts where his genitals would be visible but aren't. Also, Angelina Jolie's character is censored in the crotch area.
- Club Of The Discarded shows naked mannequins minus any visible genitals or nipples.
- In Walt Disney's Fantasia, centaurs, water nymphs, and other "good" characters are drawn without nipples, whereas the witches and harpies from Bald Mountain have them. This has the unfortunate effect of making the male centaurs look like they're sculpted from plasticine.
- Used in tandem with Godiva Hair during The Last Unicorn for Lady Amalthea.
- The Minds Eye series of videos showcasing 90s animation technology feature quite a few nude figures. Precisely zero are shown with genitalia or nipples.
- Shrek and Fiona's babies in the Shrek movie franchise play this trope straight, both nipple side and genitalia side.
- Played deliberately straight in Team America World Police: The puppets don't have any features. Especially not Gary and Lisa during their otherwise explicit stark naked sex scene.
- Aversion: The dog from The Triplets Of Belleville has visible genitals. Of course, The Triplets of Belleville is an art film.
- Examples from Disney movies:
- If a man or boy is shown shirtless, he will have some vague squares to indicate muscles, but never any nipples or hair. Examples include Michael Darling and the stereotyped Native American guys from Peter Pan, Mowgli from The Jungle Book, and Aladdin. An exception is King Triton of The Little Mermaid, who has great big ones (you can get away with tea saucer nipples with a big gray beard), as well as any man shown shirtless in Lilo & Stitch.
- In The Little Mermaid, when Ariel first becomes human, and is taken to the surface by Sebastian and Flounder, the area between her legs can be seen, but no detail is drawn.
- Hercules seems to have nipples, if the little swirls on his pecs are any indication. They're mainly visible when he's a teenager, wearing a toga that only goes over one shoulder.
- Justified in The LEGO Movie, as the LEGO Minifig characters have no anatomical features of any sort.
- In Superman Doomsday we see Superman naked in a healing cylinder (like the Bacta Tanks from Star Wars) but he is depicted sans-penis, this despite having very heavily implied off screen sex with Lois Lane earlier in the film. When we see Lex Luthor's army of Superman Clones in similar tanks they similarly have no genitalia.
Films — Live-Action
- A woman in American Mary pays to have her nipples removed and her genitals altered in an attempt to completely de-sexualize herself.
- A rare live-action example: In the 1933 Busby Berkeley number "By a Waterfall", female dancers wore thin, nudity-simulating swimsuits to titillate without showing anything they couldn't. It was still pretty racy.
- In Seed Of Chucky Chucky and Tiffany's child Glenn appears to be male but lacks genitalia which he displays to them.
- In director Kevin Smith's fantasy/comedy Dogma, the archangel Metatron, seeking to reassure a mortal female that his intentions are purely honorable, explains to her that he is "as anatomically impaired as a Ken doll" and then drops his pants to prove it.
- Ditto for the female Muse who works in a strip club. Naturally, Jay complains that "they're getting a freebie" when she proves it.
- In Forbidden Planet, Altaira is seen skinny-dipping, though a simple freeze frame will reveal she is wearing a skin-coloured dress.
- In The Godfather, the character Apollonia has a scene where she stands topless on her wedding night. During one broadcast on American television, instead of cutting the scene entirely (which is more often done) one channel digitally removed the nipples instead, in the hopes that it would save the scene. It... didn't.
- Horrors of Spider Island, an erotic German B-Movie spoofed on Mystery Science Theater 3000, contains a sequence where several women skinny-dip in a lagoon (handled, one imagines, by wearing flesh-toned bodysuits). Mike and the Bots point out this trope by commenting on the womens' uniform skin tone and lack of nipples.
- Lampshaded in Ice Storm, where lack of features of a soldier puppet is explained as work of Vet-Kong.
- In The Incredible Hulk, Blonsky transforms into the Abomination. Unlike the Hulk, none of his clothes stay on, but he doesn't need them anyway. The commentary, by the director and Blonsky's actor, have them pointing out that since the Hulk has pants, he's got to have something under them, but the Abomination does not. While we're on the subject of Tim Roth's audio commentary, the absence of visible external genitalia only gets a passing mention when compared to Roth's complaints towards Abomination's anatomy and the lack thereof, with regard to the ears. Whether this is a true subversion or Roth had his tongue firmly in his cheek — answers on a postcard, please....
- The Thing is entirely naked in Fantastic Four 2015, highlighting the fact that he has no penis or testicles. Interestingly enough, Stan Lee confirmed that the Thing does have genitalia in the comics, which is why he is usually seen in pants or shorts.
- In Jack Frost (1998), when the eponymous character dies and is reincarnated into the body of a snowman, he is visibly dismayed upon discovering that his new body isn't anatomically correct.
- Grover Underwood in the Percy Jackson And The Olympians adaptation. He's good for a laugh for anyone with a passing knowledge of Greek satyrs. Couldn't they have just given him a loincloth?
- In Pirates Of The Caribbean On Stranger Tides, perpetually-naked mermaids play a central role. In most cases, they are shown from the back, or with Godiva Hair or Scenery Censor covering their chest, but in the few scenes where the upper body is visible the actress is clearly wearing a skin suit to cover her nipples. (When one magically grows legs for a few minutes, there is also a Modesty Towel in effect).
- 12-year-old Brooke Shields wore a badly disguised, flesh-colored flap thing to preserve her modesty in Pretty Baby.
- The naked and proud woman from The Return Of The Living Dead has skin-colored panties, making her crotch Barbie-ish. Along with being yellow, the first infected corpse also has no visible sex organs.
- In Team America World Police, despite there being a graphic one minute long sex scene, neither of the "actors" have genitals or nipples. This is of course due to the fact that every character in the film is a marionette.
- In Under The Skin, Scarlett Johansson's character has nipples but no genitals.
- In the X Men Film Series, Mystique is completely naked, but doesn't have any "attributes" to speak of.
- In Ghost In The Shell, as in the original manga the Major spends a fair amount of time unclothed, since she can only turn invisible without clothes on. Unlike in the manga, though, her cybernetic body has no primary or secondary sexual characteristics.
- In Dance Of The Butterfly some of the demons have no visible genitalia. This is due to their being truly without gender.
- In Kim Newman's Dark Future novels, the Josephite church members slowly but surely turn into cliche-spewing Donny and Marie lookalikes which have no nipples or genitals and their toes fuse together, just like plastic dolls.
- In John Varley's "Eight Worlds" stories there is a "Barbie Colony" on the Moon; a sect that believes in surgical modification as well as psychological subjugation to an ideal of sexless, genderless, identity-less conformist living. A key discovery in Lunar police detective Anna-Louise Bach's investigation is, as it turns out, a merkin.
- In Philip K. Dick's Eye in the Sky, due to the sexual taboos of one of the characters, all of them are turned into this.
- Eli, the 11-12 year old... vampire, of Let The Right One In. He has nipples, but no genitalia. He wasn't always this way, though. The (Swedish) movie brings this up, and it is even ambiguous what gender Eli originally had.
- In Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space, one of the crewmembers of the Nostalgia For Infinity has done this to herself.
- Christine appears to have this in this piece of artwork for Spectral Shadows◊ with a side of Godiva Hair.
- The lesser-known Dr Seuss book The Seven Lady Godivas is about seven sisters who are always naked. None of them have visible nipples or genitals.
- Crusade has an episode (nr. 6) starting with Gideon watching some topless nude women kissing. The women have "Digitally Enhanced" breasts, that is, digitally removed nipples. Breasts with nipples are too shocking, apparently.
- In an episode of the main show, a merchant was selling dolls of the station staff and ambassadors. When Londo Molari found out it had no... attributes he was deeply insulted, feeling he was being symbolically cast... in a bad light.
- In another episode the trope is fully averted, as Londo's 'attributes' are fully shown to the audience, who at that point had no idea that they just watched him covertly swapping playing cards with his junk. Centauri genitalia is... different.
- In a later episode he has a heart attack and is shown bare chested under medical care. His "attributes" can be clearly seen curling around his sides.
- The Black Mirror episode "Black Mirror USS Callister" involves a virtual reality situation where all the virtual people, digitally cloned from people in the real world, lack genitalia. One man even goes to pull down his pants to show this. This upsets the newest clone, Nanette, to lead the others to rebel.
Nanette: Stealing my pussy is a red fucking line.
- In a season two episode of How I Met Your Mother, Lily paints a nude picture of Barney, but it is shown at the end that she deliberately omitted his genitalia. Barney draws the comparison to a Ken doll in outrage.
- Shows up in the iCarly episode iCarly Awards, when one of the eponymous awards is shown bottomless.
- Lyekka on Lexx. "Yes Stan, I am smooth around the bend." But then, being Stan, he's still interested in whatever she can provide, enough so to risk being eaten if necessary.
- In The Mighty Boosh, the episode "Party" reveals that Naboo has no genitals. Any Fan Fics dealing with the aftermath of this episode mention it at least once.
"Smooth as the bonnet of a Porsche."
- Droids in Red Dwarf have been stated to be "a bit like Action Man" in the genitalia department (with the exception being on Italian starships so they could mimic their human crewmates by cupping themselves all day). This becomes a source of discomfort for Kryten, as he is technically classified as a woman when sent to prison. To overcome this, he builds a penis for himself.
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Averted in "The Naked Now" regarding Data:
Tasha Yar: Data, you are fully functional, aren't you?
Data: Of course, but...
Tasha Yar: How fully?
Data: In every way, of course.
Star Trek: Voyager
- For obvious reasons the Emergency Medical Hologram was designed without genitals. However in "Message in a Bottle", the Doctor implies he's fixed this problem.
EMH: I'm as close to a sentient life-form as any hologram could hope to be. I socialise with the crew, fraternise with aliens. I've even had sexual relations.
EMH Mark Two: Sex! How's that possible? We're not equipped with a—
EMH: (cutting in with a smug expression) Let's just say I made an addition to my program.
- It is very likely that this also applies to the Ocampa, as we see Kes in "Before and After" giving birth out of a sack on her back and we learn in "Elogium" that conception occurs only after a male touches the female's palms after they begin to secrete some kind of yellow mucus.
- In "Latent Image", the Doctor shows off a holographic reconstruction of Ensign Harry Kim. Freeze Frame Bonus proves what some fans have been saying all along — Harry has no balls.
- Almost Human: In episode 5 the MX model androids are shown as literally this trope in the crotch area, complete with doll hip joints. Detective John Kennex references this when he says he can't get the image of a life-sized Ken doll out of his head.
- When introducing The Richard Pryor Show, Richard swore that he gave up nothing to do a network television show while standing there nude. The camera finally pulls back to confirm, revealing this trope.
- David Byrne's song "Wicked Little Doll" includes the lyrics "Make a little love / some parts are missing..."
- Hedwig, of Hedwig And The Angry Inch fame, sings that she has a "Barbie-doll crotch". More or less true.
- Nicki Minaj's Turn Me On video plays this straight with the actors looking like doll (story-wise, they are), except for the males' torso.
- Tyler, the Creator in OFWGKTA's "Rella" music video. He yells "Where'd my dick go?" follow by a shot of him completely naked, but his genitals missing.
- Justified in Miranda's Uno Los Dos music video, in which the characters are barbie-like dolls.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic in "Talk Soup" from Alapalooza sings that he has no genitalia.
- The green-skinned alien Tube Dancer on the Big Bang Bar playfield is topless, but has no features (nor a face) except for some wild purple hair.
- Seen in Silverball Mania, as the naked chrome people everywhere have no genitals visible.
- Western example: Barbie and Ken dolls. The canonical example, although pretty much any doll made for children will be like this, if the clothes can come off. Though amazingly there are exceptions.
- Billy the Gay Doll is marketed as "anatomically correct". In context this means that the "twelve inch scale" figues of Billy (white), Tyson (black), and Carlos (latino) are 12 1/2 inches tall, have improbable muscles, detailed nipples, and a "starting to show interest" penis that reaches half way down the thigh. Foreskin, molded pubic hair, and testicles can also be seen. In scale condoms "not for human use" are available, presumably to encourage safe(r) sex.
- The vast majority of Asian ball-jointed dolls dodge this trope, as they were intended as artist's models to begin with, and are all in varying degrees of anatomical correctness. However, a few doll companies (including Volks) have featured dolls with nothing between the legs and no nipples, (mostly for a childlike or angelic appearance, hence why it's been jokingly dubbed "angelcrotch"), and mods to remove genitalia are, though not common, pretty doable. Ringdoll on the other hand... have jointed ones. Yes. Someone designed a dollfie with a jointed penis.
- 1:6 scale(12 inch) action figures often have no anatomical details. Males rarely have nipples and females are featureless, as with Ken and Barbie. This is especially true of the 12" body used by Hasbro, which often went so far as to sculpt simple underwear onto the body. Of course, such details are rarely ever needed as the toy is dressed in full clothing anyway. Takara's Cy Girls line, which expanded on the 1:6 scale body for a poseable female figure, also lacked any detail. However, many newer companies, such as ZC Girl, expanded on the Cy Girls body design with extra articulation, and often include nipples on the breasts. Newer male figures may or may not have nipples, depending on the specific company and/or body. But a few companies are also experimenting with "seamless" bodies, such as Phicen, which use a silicon outer skin over a plastic internal articulated skeleton. Their female bodies feature nipples and genitals, partly because the lack of visible articulation cuts encourages skimpy clothing. But the degree of success of these bodies varies as they often suffer from severe folds and lumps when joints are bent, and potential breakage of the internal skeleton. The technology required to make these bodies hasn't really caught up yet to the needs of the design, though newer bodies seem to do better than older ones. There have also been a few male bodies which have genitals, sometimes switchable.
- Subverted with a short-lived attempt at making action figures based on porn stars, as their removable clothing and detail was actually a selling point.
- In Adventure Quest Worlds, all the Male and Female Heroes have no nipples. There also Vordred when his armor is destroyed, he notably lacks nipples and a genitalia.
- Partinias, the Arcana of Love in Arcana Heart, who comes in the form of an angel with her nipple-less chest bared.
- Edward Kenway in Assassins Creed IV Black Flag is depicted in flashbacks as having a wide tattoo where both his nipples should be.
- In the final boss fight in BioShock, Fontaine has juiced himself up with all the ADAM he had stocked up, and now resembles a statue of the Greek god Atlas (quite fitting, considering). He is also clearly naked, and yet...
- A loading screen for City of Heroes depicts the game's signature superhero, Statesman, in a heroic posture that makes it blindingly obvious that he's not carrying any equipment under his spandex. And early in the game's existence, characters could be created that had visible nipples; later on, this was removed.
- Morrigan from Capcom's Darkstalkers series either has no nipples, or has them on the underside of her breasts, since her outfit reveals 90% of her... "endowments".
- The Dead Or Alive series both plays this straight and averts this. In the nude Kasumi hack in Dead or Alive 2, Kasumi lacks nipples and pubic hair. However, the nude Kasumi hack in Dead or Alive 3 averts it by giving her those aspects. The first Dead or Alive Xtreme game both plays it straight and averts it, as, due to a trick involving a visor, the characters can appear nude, but have slight discoloration near their naughty areas to hide the nudity, but it is averted in various hacks of the same game. Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 subverts it as, while the nipples are still present, and the vulva, the pubic hair is missing. Dead or Alive Paradise via the Emperor's New Clothes cheat plays it completely straight, however.
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Terra's Esper form is completely nude, with no nipples or vulva shown at all. Zidane and Kuja also go nude in their Trance forms and have no penises. On the other hand, Terra's (supposedly) covered in fur and you could make a case for Zidane's strategically placed fur patches and Kuja's strategically placed feather patches providing coverup. Either way, though, it's just a ploy to keep the games rated T, whether or not you think there's a coherent in-universe explanation.
- Played straight in Dogs Life, with the dogs of course. Jake lacks any male anatomy, as do any other dogs. Averted in the intro, where you can clearly see Jake's sheath if you look under him.
- The Grotesqueries in Drakengard are lacking any form of identifying genitalia. It makes them look androgynous as they take the form of giant babies. They also don't seem to have eyes, just fleshy orbs where eyes should be. Unlike most babies they do however, sport full sets of teeth.
The Elder Scrolls
- Throughout the series, the statues of the Daedric Prince Azura variously fluctuate between this trope, Absolute Cleavage, and Nipple and Dimed. Her appearance in Daggerfall is actually topless. In Morrowind and Oblivion, her statues are this trope specifically - topless but lacking in details. (Her avatar which appears in Morrowind and Tribunal is much more modestly dressed.) Her statues in Skyrim and Online have her breasts covered but she is still showing deep cleavage.
- In Daggerfall, crotches are doll-like, but nipples are still present (both on the player character and NPCs — especially those at Daedra Shrines and temples of Dibella). Later titles in the series deal with the issue by giving everyone indestructible undergarments that never, ever come off (without Game Mods at least).
- When modders discovered that characters in Oblivion were anatomically correct, a Moral Guardians shitstorm ensued. For this reason Bethesda delayed the release of modding tools for Fallout 3 until this trope was in full force.
- In Enemy Zero, both the intro and the ending have the main protagonist, Laura Lewis, fully nude with her breasts well shown (moreso in the ending)... And she's completely featureless.
- Volug in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn has the distinction of being the only shirtless guy in the party, and he has no nipples. Largo in Path of Radiance was more or less the same.
- God Of War features this as a What Could Have Been. The first game has a second disc that features old, rejected versions of some of the enemies in the game. The notes on these models mention that the Cyclops was originally intended to have a penis, like how the female monsters all had visible breasts. The cyclops's penis had to be removed, prompting the end of the note, "Poor cyclops." Kratos himself has this in God Of War Ascension
- Averted in Gothic 1. Velaya, the woman who you can sometimes see bathing in Gomez's palace has visible nipples and pubic hair, unless you are playing the US release.
- Averted in Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned and Red Dead Redemption. Both feature full frontal (including male) nudity at points, eg. the "Gates Of El Presidio" cutscene, and the naked man hanging in the barn.
- Cortana, an AI who projects herself as a nude translucent blue human female covered in circuitry.
- Halo 5 Guardians has Governor Sloan, an AI who projects himself as a muscular blue nude man, but with no privates or nipples.
- Heavy Rain: In stark contrast to the detail in Madison's graphic shower scene, male character models have no penises. It's fairly obvious in some of shots of Ethan showering, and they don't even try to hide it in the police station's restroom. Technically, both models were anatomically correct during the development of the game. Evidence here. Although there is no official comment as to why this anatomy was removed, the fact that it was released in Japan first may have something to do with it.
- James Bond: Agent Under Fire featured a scene in which you sneak into a bathroom and can see a woman showering. If one uses a gun with a scope, you can zoom in from far enough away that you don't activate the trap (she's a projection, to create a disguised door) and you can see that she fits this trope, having no nipples.
- Many specimens are naked. Thankfully they are also completely neutered (a title screen picture even reveals stitches near their crotch).
- Concept art of the game reveals that this was not initially the case. If you thought the Siren was creepy before, you haven't seen her with nipples and blood coming from her.
- Legacy Of Kain: Raziel is functionally nude throughout the series, but it hardly matters seeing as he has no skin and therefore no naughty bits.
- The Sea Zoras in the The Legend Of Zelda games are usually fully naked with no nipples or genitals rendered.
- Lone Siren: The siren looks like this.
- Lucia, the female lead from Lunar Eternal Blue. Several cutscenes show her without clothes and whenever it's impossible to cover her features with conveniently placed hair/baby red dragons, she's depicted as having anime anatomy, although Ruby still chews her out for "walking into the male bath with her no-no parts showing".
- While Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons Of Liberty generally relies on Scenery Censor and Hand or Object Underwear for the segment where Raiden is captured and stripped of his clothing, a specific weapons mod/hack confirmed that the art team decided not to actually model something that, under normal circumstances, would never actually be seen.
- The final boss of Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae takes form of a nude woman without genitalia or nipples.
- In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, new Gym Leader Marlon lacks nipples, and the contours of his swimsuit make it clear that he's lacking some crucial equipment as well.
- Played straight in the original Punch-Out!! games but averted in the Wii reboot.
- The ending of Radiant Silvergun for the Sega Saturn features the main protagonists suspended in a liquid-filled tank, sans any form of clothing at all. No attempt is made to cover any of their bodies, but any form of genitals are noticeably absent.
- Resident Evil 2 features naked zombies towards the end of the game, which are completely lacking in genitalia.
- When a character first starts off in the sandbox MMO Second Life, all they are lacking in human anatomy. Many players will spend inordinate amounts of time and money buying player-created versions of said anatomy.
- In the Shadow Hearts series, Yuri is completely naked in his Seraphic Radiance Fusion, but lacks any genitalia. However, it's an angel form, so it might simply be plain asexual.
- Prevalent throughout the Shin Megami Tensei Persona series, most notably in Persona 3 and Persona 4, as both of those games feature Hot Springs episodes that prove that everyone lacks nipples. It continues into sequels and spinoffs, such as Persona 4 Arena (where one character is wearing a very tight catsuit, while another is topless), the movie adaptation of Persona 3 (the second film features a noticeable sideboob shot of Yukari in a shower), and Persona Q Shadow Of The Labyrinth (all of the Persona designs that originally retained their nipples - that being, they were originally demons designed for the main SMT games by Kaneko Kazuma - now lack them in this game).
- Underneath the censor blur, naked Sims have featureless anatomy. The Other Wiki notes that "they appear like Ken and Barbie" was the makers' response to the accusation that Sim nudity merits more than a teen rating. In the modding community, custom skins are labeled either Barbie or non-Barbie, though some split the difference, adding nipples to the nipple-less female skins, but nothing else. Visible without modding is the bizarre design decision in The Sims 3 for the men to have no nipples, even though they did in The Sims 1 and 2. Considering that The Sims 3 aims for more realistic designs than its predecessors, it's a mystery why they decided to remove them. The Sims 4 reverses the decision while returning to a more stylized, Pixar-like, design.
- The trope is averted in the German Sims knockoff Singles: Flirt Up Your Life which features anatomically correct characters and less stylized (if disturbingly clinical sexual intercourse). Marketed as a relationship simulator Anatomy and sexual functionality aside, the "Singles" are far more prudish and slow to warm up to each other than Sims ever are in any of the Maxis releases. "Singles" even take showers clad in undies., Singles was sold in a Rated-M version with a poorly implemented pixelation blur which practically demanded a user fix. The European release (available online) was Rated-AO for Adults Only, as in unavailable at any reputable brick and mortar game store in the US.
- One preview of Super Mario Odyssey showed Mario shirtless in a beach level and many people were surprised to see they averted this by actually giving Mario nipples, though they're simply rendered as a pair of dots a slightly darker color than his skin.
- Titan Quest has this as well: the player will often encounter casually nude stone statues in the Greek style, but due to the game's T rating, they lack junk. This was also the case with many of the monsters, such as the harpies and medusae.
- Sydney from Vagrant Story seems to be a victim of Barbie Doll Anatomy... until you consider the possibility that he may have sacrificed his genitals along with his arms.
- Chaos from Xenosaga is shown to not have nipples when he's shirtless. MOMO also experiences this phenomenon in Sailor Moon fashion during her transformations.
- While most the nude or semi-nude bosses in La Mulana have their nipples and other parts conveniently censored by the camera angle, Baphomet's second form is full frontal. Unless the red stripes are actually some sort of clothing, it's nipples and genitalia are absent.
- In Ragnarok Online, there are a multitude of female monsters who are only partly covered (The Moonlight Flower in particular became a subject of much gags amid the fandom for the fact that she wears a Fur Bikini top, but goes pantless) or totally exposed, but nothing naughty can be seen. That is, with the sole exception of Maya, whose chest is strangely uncensored despite her main body looking almost wholly human; her Game Face and insectoid lower body she's bound to being the only unsightly aspects.
- From Smite, the Norse sun goddess Sol appears as a stark-naked girl made of fire. It is censored by giving her barbie-doll anatomy.
- In the Japanese version of EarthBound (entitled MOTHER 2), this trope is in full effect when the main protagonist Ness is completely naked (other than his trademark red baseball cap) while exploring his Mental World of Magicant. The English version of the game avoids this entirely, and puts Ness in the pajamas he wears at the beginning of the game instead.
- Averted in Mass Effect Andromeda for the female Player Character at least. Sara Ryder's nude model is anatomically correct in every way despite her crotch never being visible in any of her sex scenes. Modding away her clothes/armor during free play allows for appreciation of her body from every angle, which shockingly failed to draw any attention from Moral Guardians even years after the game's release, even more so in light of its highly detailed graphics.
- Barbie Life In The Dreamhouse has the decency never to show Barbie and her gang without at least underwear. However, Shirtless Scenes for Ken and Ryan reveal neither of them to have nipples. Additionally, a body diagram in Barbie's doctor office lacks the attributes absent from actual Barbie dolls.
- The animated Web serial Broken Saints uses this when depicting the main characters naked in Dream Sequences, though not so much in the physical world.
- Homestar Runner seems to play this straight with Strong Bad(who is constantly shirtless with a chest as smooth as a bowling ball), until he mentions having sanded-off his own nipples.
- In The Most Popular Girls In School, Matthew has no penis or testicles due to a birth defect. Makes sense considering he (and the rest of the cast) are played by fashion dolls. This is visually represented by not putting a black bar over his crotch like the other guys. Somehow, despite lacking something to produce testosterone, he's had a deep voice since kindergarten.
- Mystery Skulls Animated: The brief glimpse of Lewis without clothes in "Freaking Out". Killer abs, though.
- In Sword Cat Princess, Lord Oberon appears nude but has no discernible genitals; James Barrington remarks upon this, noting that Oberon's "still got the Ken Doll genitalia". Oberon's princess daughter Julia arrives from Avalon similarly smooth in the crotch.
- Vampire Cheerleaders , oddly enough considering that it pretty much runs on Fanservice, though this was averted in the print run, as they didn't have to deal with Google Ads then.
- Bittersweet Candy Bowl, Half of the cast walk around in the nude, and then for some reason seem embarrassed by Wardrobe Malfunctions.
- All of the Bomberman Land Parody cast do not have anything underneath their pants.
- Myan from Cat Nine is fully naked but no details can be seen. 
- Collar 6 zig-zags this (nipples are visible, but there's little detail for genitalia).
- Doctor Voluptua's security team is composed entirely of men who have evolved beyond the need for sex (i.e. no penis). Given that her clients all have one sexual dysfunction or another, this is simply due diligence.
- Played with in thisDoes Not Play Well With Others strip (formerly an Errant Story omake).
- In Draconia Chronicles, while the dragons are technically nude all the time, they have no visible nipples; justified in that they are reptilian. Nor genitalia, which by Word Of God and shown in more erotic Danny V has done, is covered up by a section of skin that can be pushed aside. The tigers avert this given the heavy Hand or Object Underwear in a scene where two of them start fighting topless. And some outlines of nipples.
- In El Goonish Shive, shirtless males are drawn without nipples in greyscale comics. Word Of God is that this is because he can't make them look right without color. Color comics and sketchbook entries have nipples though.
- And now that's true for shirtless females in greyscale comics too.
- The characters in Fruit Incest seem to follow this trope usually. It's somewhat fitting considering the characters also have no fingers or toes either.
- In Get Medieval, nobody has nipples in the early comics; it's possible that the change in later strips was sparked by the endless fan discussion of the absent nipples.
- In Jix, the Ambis are always nude, but nothing is shown. The general explination is that both sets of genitalia are probably under their fur. After all, the nipples have been shown from time to time by parting fur.
- Kill Six Billion Demons: In this page the angel 82 White Chain Born In Emptiness Returns To Subdue Evil is seen full frontal naked, but with no nipples or genitalia. Being an angel born of the cold white flame, 82 doesn't have a gender, and corrects people who refer to them as female. Also, the creator has previously stated on his Twitter feed that he wants the comic to have the widest possible audience, and will therefore be avoiding NSFW content.
- Meta-example, Gary from Ménage à 3 learned to draw human anatomy with his roommate Matt, but was too squeamish to draw Matt's penis at first. Also, the characters in the comic are often displayed naked, even showing nipples, but genitalia are hidden.
- The men of Namir Deiter and You Say It First (both by Isabel and Terrance Marks) are curiously nipple-free. (This may be due to the near-militant efforts of the artists to keep things solidly PG.)
- In Ron Coleman's Nudie Toons, women have nipples but men don't.
- The Order of the Stick mostly uses tropes such as Pixellation (a strange method for a Stick Figure Comic), Godiva Hair or Scenery Censor to cover nudity, but at one point (probably unintentionally) this trope happens when the Godiva Hair is positioned in a wrong way.
- An ironically silly example appears in the comic Pawn. The Horny Devil protagonist Baalah goes around naked all the time, prominently displaying her enormous anatomically correct breasts and complete lack of genitals. It is apparently just an art convention, as the other protagonist is human and is also drawn this way, but she usually wears clothes so it's not as noticeable.
- Questionable Content has May, an A.I. virtual companion who not only checks to find out if she's this, but frequently bemoans it.
- This shows up for a panel or two in Remus, but the nudity is not played for eroticism and is surrounded by a fair amount of Fetish Retardant — specifically, the character in question is being dangled naked from a ceiling as part of a Cold-Blooded Torture session. It's very much not that kind of comic.
- In Something Positive, a Polanski-esque stage director enforced this trope by putting a 15-year-old Aubrey into a glittering, nude bodystocking... in a play based on The Hobbit. Mike sees it, and, being Mike pre-Woobification, promptly puts it on the Internet. Cue Pædo Hunt.
- Sluggy Freelance: Aylee's famous "phase two" form was actually like this, really not having such details. At that time, she was basically a xenomorph poured into a mold the shape of a shapely human female. Torg appreciated her outlines anyway, along with the fact that she was technically naked. Later, when Aylee developed a genuinely human-ish form completely with more than a crude mockery of human anatomy, Torg found himself less comfortable about it.
- In Sticky Dilly Buns, in a bonus story created following a successful Kickstarter campaign, Ruby dreams of directing most of the male cast in a Yaoi movie, and the dream culminates in her becoming a man and attempting to demonstrate a point in person. However, she is frustrated because her dream is drawing imagery from the fairly mild yaoi which she has been reading, which means that her male dream-body has no genitals.
- An Alien bunny girl from Super Bikini Girls.
- In Too Much Information, the sexy shoulder devil, Cleo, is always naked, but nipples and genitals are conveniently covered by her long, flaming tresses.
- Played with in Tower Of God: during the Bath mini-arc one can see that Hon Arkraptor and Kim Lurker's races have nipples for both genders, while Ja Wangnan, whose horns betray him as a Non-Human, does not.
- Two Kinds: none of the beast-man characters have any nipples (they're hidden by their fur). Doesn't explain why naked human characters have nothing going on either. Also, the original versions of the comics have nipples but they're erased in the official comic for a PG 13 rating.
- Wayward Sons: The only character whose breasts are ever fully exposed, Hestya, is drawn this way. Ironically, you can see where her nipples are when she's clothed.
- The James Gunns PG Porn episode "High Poon" used this as the punch line: when the male porn star finally drops his trousers, his lower extremities look like this.
- Cartoon animals are always like this, which is why they are given Tertiary Sexual Characteristics.
- Perhaps a literal example with The Flesh from Action League Now. The Flesh is a modified Conan the Adventurer action figure depicted with a Ken-type bulge in place of Conan's hips/loincloth, and his nudity is always Played for Laughs.
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force hangs a lantern on Shake's lack of genitals in "Ezekial". This don't stop him from trying to get laid, or from being afraid of castration.
- Averted in an episode of Bojack Horseman where the titular character is stuck with a baby seahorse. The baby has a clearly visible penis.
- The Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command episode "The Crawling Flesh" featured some LGMs being seen naked. They do not have visible genitalia.
- Averted in Captain N The Game Master. Kevin and Simon have nipples◊, and not forgetting King Hippo, patron saint of man-boobies.
- Whenever Bathtub Granny from Chalk Zone has her chest at a level where it isn't covered up by bathwater, she is shown to be flat-chested and lacking nipples.
- In the season (series) finale of Clone High, there is a split second shot of the Joan of Arc's clone's breasts. In place of her nipples is the words "nice try."
- In the Codename Kids Next Door short Kenny and the Chimp, Kenny has been infected with many of Professor XXXL's collection of diseases, by the end after being cured of the latest illness he winds up naked and covers himself; however, when the pizza he had ordered earlier arrives and chases the delivery boy you can clearly see that he has no genitalia.
- The DC Animated Universe varies wildly on this, to the point of hilarity: Batman has no nipples, but Dick Grayson does... until he becomes Nightwing, at which point he doesn't again. Fortunately, by the time they made it to Justice League, they let the improved Aquaman keep his nipples.
- Dexters Laboratory had a case of this in the Dial M for Monkey short "Peltra", where the titular villain ends up stripped naked by Agent Honeydew and has no breasts or genitalia.
- In The Fairly Oddparents, Timmy and Poof have a few nude moments, and while their butts are clearly visible, their sexual organs are not. The characters, also, have nipples and belly buttons.
Family Guy likes playing with nudity tropes in general.
- One scene contains a frontal shot of a naked Stewie Griffin, with no male genitalia in sight. Promptly lampshaded when he looks down and doesn't see said genitals, causing him to think he's a woman. (That was because of Shrinkage.)
- Another Stewie scene involves him goading Brian into running naked through a mall. When he returns and is counting his winnings, he is obviously not packin'.
Stewie: Nope, just really, really small.
- Brian has been the butt of several penis jokes, despite his own lack of human anatomy. Brian claims it gets pulled inside when he stands up. Truth in Television; dogs have a sort of retractable penis that normally rests inside a sheath.
- Peter gets away with it because his large gut supposedly covers up everything. They lampshaded this in the episode where Peter gets liposuction. He steps out of the shower, looks down, and says, "I see you!" Lampshaded again with the nude TOY based on him. If you look underneath you'll find that his genitalia has been replaced with... a winking smiley face carved in!
- After seeing "Love Blactually", it's safe to say that Quagmire has no genitals. There is also a scene in "Death Lives" where he is shaving his pubes, and there is a brief shot of him shown as smooth as a Ken doll.
- Neither does Chris in the few times we see him naked, which is surprising since they made such a big deal about it.
- There is at least one episode of Family Guy that shows Peter with nipples (the one involving him calling in sick to work to go to a Sox game). The rest don't seem to.
- There's the episode "Deep Throats", where Lois and Peter get high on pot, strip, and eventually end up naked on the couch. At the POV seen, Lois' vulva should be visible, but it's not.
- Averted in one Cutaway Gag with Britney Spears' famous crotch-shot paparazzi snap recreated, only with Peter in her place, and everything on display.
- Lampshaded in "Be Careful What You Fish For" where Billy Finn tells Peter he can't see his penis while he's nude and calls his penis "Mr. Snuffleupagus".
Peter: Lois, we're measuring my penis again and this time, I decide where the base is!
- Male Gargoyles have no nipples, despite the bulk of the title creatures going shirtless all the time. Gargoyles lay eggs, but the females do have breasts. The creator says female Gargoyles nurse their young. The creator also says that both sexes have nipples, but one, on the males they're even more vestigial than in human males, and two, censors probably wouldn't like it.
- All of the male characters on The Magic Adventures Of Mumfie have panty lines, but Mumfie was revealed in a few episode to have no underwear, and no butt markings are seen on his back, even though in one of those episodes, his front was covered by another object.
- Very noticeable in many nude scenes of Mary Shelleys Frankenhole. All the Stop Motion characters have flat cut-out bodies where their nipples and genitals (which are brought up many times in the show) are nonexistent
- Metalocalypse usually uses black Censor Boxes, but on the season 3 DVD they are gone. When Pickles appears fully nude, his junk is replaced by a goatee that matches the one on his face.
- Moral Orel does this. They didn't give any extra details to the clay models, even for nude scenes.
- In The Prince Of Atlantis all the Atlanteans had this since they didn't wear clothes. Which raised some, ahem, interesting questions about how they continued their species....
- In Robbie The Reindeer, the female reindeer clearly have breasts, but not unlike Sally Acorn, the nipples are presumed hidden under the fur.
- Robot Chicken also hangs a lantern on this, providing the image caption.
- In the "CC's Dare 2" commercial, Homer goes streaking through the SNPP just to get a bag of CC's chips from Bart. The commercial in question can be found here. When you pause at just the right moment when Homer grabs the chips, you can see that he has no genitals.
- Averted in the movie when Bart is skateboarding naked. For the first 28 seconds (which is a long time when a cartoon boy is skateboarding naked and nothing else is happening), he's got it covered, but then he passes from being behind a short (useless) fence to being behind a tall wall. In other words, his little boy crotch? The only thing you can see.
- In the segment "Citizen Kang" of Treehouse of Horror VII for a brief moment when Bill Clinton is shoved into the tube, you get a view of his crotch and you can see that he has no genitals.
- Cowand Chicken has the butt-flashing Red Guy. Like he says, he's naked, but he surprisingly has no genitals.
- The boys are usually rendered without genitals. The exception is Cartman, whose more closely resembles a tail. Osama Bin Laden subverts this; he doesn't have genitals at first, but after about 30 magnifying glasses, we can see a really small, uncircumcised penis.
- Averted in the episode "T.M.I."; when Butters is measuring his penis and is angry that his T.M.I. is below average, his penis can be clearly seen.
- "Wieners Out": Butters + decision to stand up for male rights = a load of uncensored, male fourth-grader genitalia. This keeps up in subsequent episodes "Douche and a Danish" and "Oh, Jeez"—this time, with Butters involved.
Sponge Bob Square Pants, like other children's shows, tends to show naked characters as being devoid of genitalia.
- Episodes such as "Pranks a Lot", "All That Glitters", "Pretty Patties", and "Nature Pants" depict SpongeBob and Patrick in the nude. Neither of them have visible genitals when they are seen naked.
- Squidward is seen naked in "Bossy Boots", but doesn't have visible privates even though a police officer promptly puts a ticket over his crotch.
- When Plankton encounters a naked Mr. Krabs in "The Algae's Always Greener", Krabs never has his nether regions covered, which are nonexistent anyway.
- "Feral Friends" ends with SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Larry the Lobster, Mr. Krabs, Mrs. Puff, and Pearl all being naked. Again, none of them have any visible genitalia. Mrs. Puff and Pearl are also shown to be flat-chested and nipple-less.
- Probably done by accident, but in The Smurfs episode "Papa's Big Snooze", when Papa Smurf is knocked on his back from being bit by the slumber bug, his kimono doesn't cover where, um... certain parts are lacking.
- In Superjail, Hunter runs around not just completely naked, but covered in blood. And she has -NO- visible genitalia. That didn't seem to deter the inmates from wanting to have their way with her, though. It was later revealed on the season 2 DVD that her first design had nipples and pubic hair, but the censors objected to it. The Twins' clone Combaticus never wears clothing within the titular episode, but clearly lacks genitalia and even nipples on his body. Semi-averted on the first DVD cover, where Christy Karacas' original depiction of the character is shown to bear nipples (although his crotch is obscured).
- In the first episode of Thundercats, the Thundercats are all naked, and they have no genitals or nipples... or even butt clefts. And yet they all apparently have visible panty-lines◊. Weird.
- While there are various trolls in Trollhunters that wear clothes and do in fact have "gronknuks" (Rule #3 being to hit them for a tactical advantage), some trolls like the Wumpa Tribe, AAARRRGGHH!!! and his entire breed of trolls go without clothes with no primary gender characteristics visible.
US Acres does this a lot.
- When Roy, Lanolin and Bo are naked, no genitals appear. And Aloysius Pig, who wears no shirt underneath his coat, and has been known to use the bathroom note Aloysius farts after he says "100 dollars per week" in the episode "The Discount of Monte Cristo"., has no genitals either!
- In Hogcules II and Much Ado About Lanolin, Orson and Lanolin are shown to wear undies, and some episodes have Lanolin wearing pants underneath dresses to avoid the "Much Ado About Lanolin Incident".
- In Snow Wade And The 77 Dwarves, Wade holds his crotch before he transforms. When he lifts up his skirt as Snow Wade later, there are no underpants on him!
- 52 episodes of WITCH, 52 full frontal transformation sequences, and no sign of genitalia.
- Korean idol Nichkhun's torso experienced a giant photoshop fail.
- In the 1950's, the first generation of nudist mags of the "Health and Efficiency" genre permitted monochrome photos of female nipples, but anything visible below the waist was severely airbrushed smooth. For a generation of men whose only exposure to female nudity had been mags if this ilk, discovering real women had pubic hair and other things were going on down there... well, it could come as a traumatic shock. Similarly, 1950's "art and public education" movies about life in nudist camps and how healthy and life-engendering the lifestyle was, would often be carefully edited to avoid any genitals nearer than fifty feet of the camera - these were acceptable in long-shot, however. Very long-shot.